The Trinity River Authority is seeking an Accounting Associate at its General Services department in Arlington, Texas. This position encompasses difficult, time sensitive, and varied work requiring independent judgment and decision making based on established policies and procedures. The job will have primary responsibility for one financial area with secondary responsibilities in each of the other areas to include biweekly payroll processing, customer billing, daily receipt and application of cash, and accounts payable processing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsible for recording transactions in the accounts payable and billing sub-ledgers, closing and reconciling the sub-ledgers to the general ledger monthly.
2. Maintains supporting documentation for all revenue, expense and payroll activities according to company retention policy.
3. Responsible for processing and submitting the bi-weekly payroll in a timely manner. This includes notifying the Cash Manager of the net pay, tax and wage garnishment amounts that must be transferred to the payroll account.
4. Responsible for the accuracy of company pension contributions as well as employee contributions to plans for deferred compensation and employee pension plans.
5. Reconciles benefit provider liability accounts in the general ledger.
6. Prepares all payroll related general journal entries for posting and payroll related non-PO invoices for interface to accounts payable.
7. Final review of expense reports for supporting documentation and compliance with company policy before interfacing to accounts payable for reimbursement.
8. Prepares audit schedules and assist independent auditors.
9. Creates the billing upload worksheet for customer cities in accordance with their respective contracts and the annual budget.
10. Invoices customer cities for operating and maintenance costs, debt service, and lab services as called for in their contracts and the approved billing schedule.
11. Prepares journal entries for all internal billings for upload to the general ledger.
Assist with preparation of the annual budget as requested by departmental management.
12. Ensures all vendor invoices received through the mail and via email are entered into validation batches on a daily basis.
13. Validates vendor invoices and ensure they have approved purchase orders within the automated accounts payable system before they are sent for matching and payment.
14. Assists buyers in clearing errors for invoices sent for payment in the company’s automated accounts payable system. Monitor invoices in the AP system to make sure invoices are processed and paid in a timely manner in order to meet the statutory time requirement for payment.
15. Responsible for printing vendor checks and delivering them to the individual responsible for logging and mailing them each week.
16. Ensures cash receipts are recorded in the AR sub-ledger and applied to the correct general ledger account on a daily basis.
High School Diploma or GED with some accounting coursework. Associate or Bachelor degree preferred.
Minimum of four years of experience working in an accounting or finance department that uses an ERP system. Accounting degree will serve as a substitute for work experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSE, REGISTRATIONS:
Valid Texas driver's license.
Knowledge of fund accounting and an understanding of the concepts of accrual accounting. Demonstrated proficiency in Excel. Excellent communication skills. Great attention to detail is a necessity.
Don't miss the chance to be considered for this position! This represents an excellent opportunity to work with highly experienced and highly skilled professionals at one of the largest river authorities in Texas. Apply now! Please go to TRA website to apply https://www.trinityra.org/joblist.htm
The Trinity River flows across Texas for hundreds of miles. Providing drinking water to more than 50% of the state's population, the Trinity River is one of the most important waterways in the country. The Trinity River Authority of Texas (TRA) is proud to play an important role in preserving and developing this vital resource for Texans and the generations of Texans to come.
Established by the state Legislature in 1955, TRA provides water and wastewater treatment and recreation and reservoir facilities throughout the Trinity River Basin and maintains a master plan for basin-wide development. TRA also serves as a conduit for tax-exempt financing for municipal projects and as a local sponsor for federal water projects.
TRA is constantly working to improve water quality and remains at the forefront of cutting-edge technologies and innovations. An exciting and dynamic organization, TRA is poised for success for years to come.
TRA offers a competitive starting salary range, along with a comprehensive benefits package including insurance programs, savings programs, paid time off and holidays. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. TRA is an equal opportunity employer.