The Department Manager is responsible for the overall management of tree services and PHC. Including communicating regularly with the crews, client and Arborists on every aspect of their assigned jobs. This role requires a strong knowledge of environmentally safe and organic garden practices, maintenance and tree work as well as being committed to producing the highest quality services in the industry. This position is also responsible for creating and implementing plans for sales, marketing and operation that will create revenue to achieve goals set by management. This position is responsible for leading the crewman and communicating client needs and wishes to the rest of the organization. They must also be comfortable offering technical advice and performing the jobs in the absence of or as added support for assigned staff. Visibility in the community is required for this position, so professionalism is vital both on and off the job.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in invoice verification and the responsive resolution to client’s concerns.
- Review and evaluate monthly direct Job Cost Reports on departmental activity to ensure profitability.
- Requisition tools, equipment and supplies required for operations.
- Daily approval of payroll entries for production staff and verification of paperwork prior to billing.
- Assist in the preparation, documenting and proposing of the divisional operation budget.
- Review divisional actual vs. budgeted performance with the VP on a monthly basis.
- Develop and implement a safety and training program for all operational staff within Tree Group.
- Create and collaborate on an annual sales/marketing plant for the tree group and implement it with the assistance of the marketing team.
- Participate in weekly team meetings.
Supervisory & Personnel Responsibilities
- Supervision and training of production crews to improve work performance.
- Giving direction, resolve problems, set deadlines to ensure timely and accurate completion of work sold.
- Manager and coordinate all direct reports, for all group and company activities.
- Develop annual recruiting strategies, intercompany training and initiatives that address the immediate and long-term staffing requirements of the group.
- Initiate employee hiring, promotion, discipline, discharge or transfer for all direct reports.
- Perform direct report’s annual performance evaluation and recommend compensation adjustments to the Director.
- Report, record and redirect, in accordance with the company’s stated policy, assigned staff in disciplinary actions.
- Train all direct reports on company policies and procedures.
- Carry out any disciplinary action necessary.
- Address problems or issues with job production and resolve to the client’s satisfaction.
Professional Development & Community Relations
- Continue professionals and technical education.
- Review technical publications, articles and abstracts to stay abreast of technical developments in the horticultural/landscape service industry.
- Obtain membership in professional trade organizations and accept any leadership roles if possible.
- Represent the company at community activities - promotional events, seminars, garden shows,
- Be available for speaking engagements for garden clubs, churches, civic organizations, businesses and speaker’s bureaus.
Make decision based on specific projects and which jobs needs priority over other options. Must also be able to make decisions regarding client needs or regarding any issues that arise.
Crew: Train and lead crewmen on new products and jobs for each client. Make sure everything is completed in an accurate and timely manner.
Sales: Communicate with sales team what needs to be accomplished for each project. Participate as a salesman as needed to drive sales and accomplish established goals.
Clients: Must interact face to face and over the phone with clients. This position also requires interaction with clients in the community.
Must address issues with clients and crewmen and respond appropriately maintaining Lambert’s standards. Must also be flexible to changes if clients are not completely satisfied with our work.
Supervisory and Management Duties:
This job is responsible for annual performance reviews and daily management of direct reports, as well as the supervising and training other employees.
Ensure that all members of staff are adhering to federal and company rules and regulations.
Experience: Possess a 2 or 4 year degree (Preferably in Horticulture) or 3 years previous experience in a related field.
Training and Certifications: ISA Certification, TCIA Certified Tree care Safety Professional and valid driver’s license.
Special Skills and/or Abilities:
-Needs to have experience using Microsoft Office based programs.
-Must be able to lead and provide assistance to staff in the visualization, implementation and documenting of group strategic plans, initiatives, operational budgets, etc.
-Must possess advanced working knowledge of financial systems with the ability to analyze and present key indicators to the rest of the staff.
-Must be organized, efficient and be dedicated to a systematic and documented work system.
-Needs to know how to prioritize effectively.
-Above average written and verbal English communication skills. Basic knowledge of Spanish is required.
-Ability to perform physically intense tasks outdoors in all weather conditions.
-Must be able to select quality materials and be value conscious when purchasing.
-Must have experience in estimating.
-Commitment to environmentally safe management techniques and practices in all phases of the landscape industry.
-Must be familiar with and committed to organic gardening methods.
Important Qualities and Characteristics:
-Ability to supervise assigned personnel in matters including hiring, firing, evaluation, discipline, development, training, motivation and general team building.
- Must be capable of performing under pressure as well as demonstrating flexibility in an adapting to the ever-changing industry.
-Wide variety of practical/functional knowledge of all facets of landscape maintenance, as well as a working knowledge of garden design, installation, construction, pool, irrigation and tree care disciplines.
- Commitment to produce the highest quality landscape services while providing unsurpassed customer service.
When the Lambert brothers came to Dallas to plant the city's first azaleas, they knew they were in a special place. Since our founding as the city's first landscape architectural firm, and for nearly a century as an integrated landscape services company, Lambert Landscape Company has continued to design and care for gardens as special as they are personal and emotional extensions of the cities and residences we call home.
Beauty and stewardship go hand in hand and our efforts to do both well is what we do best. We leave a softer, gentler footprint through water and resource conservation, cistern programs, organic applications, and non-toxic nutritional processes. Organic for 30 years, Lambert's believes that environmentally responsible landscapes are not only healthier but more beautiful. And that by restoring the ecological harmony and longevity to the gardens themselves, they will bring enduring value to our families and the world in which we live.